About Cauldron Studios
Cauldron Studios™, a ProbablyMonsters studio, is developing a narrative-driven AAA game.
We are looking for a world-class Senior Designer who can work with design leadership to implement compelling combat experiences from conceptualization to implementation utilizing Unreal 4. The ideal candidate has a strong technical understanding of Unreal, a firm grasp on how to leverage character animation, state machines, and controller systems with the ability to marry them together to create dynamic experiences for the player. They would demonstrate a high level of proficiency, experience, and passion for tuning and balancing a large suite of systems, behaviors, and encounters in a live environment.
Who You Are:
- You are a world class experience designer with a passion for the player combat loop, building riveting enemy combatant behaviors, and a deep bench of player navigation ideas to make moving through the world exciting.
- You have 5+ years of AAA player focused design and have shipped at least one AAA game.
- You understand how to take existing interconnected systems and push their boundaries yielding great moment to moment experiences.
- You have deep combat design experience with a focus on the Player's tool kit.
- You can easily communicate, breakdown and demonstrate the complex relationship of player and combatants engagements that make great water cooler moments.
- You can identify and advocate for game improvements to the design director and other studio leads.
- You are an avid gamer with a love for dreaming up worlds and experiences to discover and explore.
- You can tell a story through your designs.
- You are comfortable with technical implementation, using game editors, scripting languages and tools
- You are excited to work collaboratively in a strong creative team environment
What You Will Do:
- Exercises deep knowledge for character action games, third-person combat, as well as a keen eye for game feel and balance
- Work closely with design leadership to design, implement and polish compelling player-centric experiences
- Execute across all stages of development: from verbal ideas to paper sketches to feature documentation and in-game implementation
- Rapidly prototype character-based abilities within the engine to test out new ideas through a highly iterative process
- Balance variables to create compelling combat experiences that cater to diverse playstyles
- Drive project goals, priorities, and vision across interdisciplinary teams to deliver high features from start to finish
- Own and refine combat features and improvement efforts, from ideation through delivery to players.
- Maintain clear and concise documentation for all mechanics, balance, and systems they are responsible for.
- 3+ years in a senior design role.
- Experience with the Unreal 4 Engine is a must.
- Understanding of gameplay subsystems and dependencies plus ability to unify all elements together
- Experience creating and owning features designed to appeal to broad audiences
- Capable of working independently and in team environments
- Driven to move fast, be decisive, and deliver world-class experiences
About ProbablyMonsters Inc.
Established in 2016 and announced in October 2019, ProbablyMonsters™ is a new breed of game company that builds sustainable AAA studios to launch original AAA games. The company was founded by Harold Ryan to not only create great games, but also to make a great working experience for developers, one where people, culture, and creativity come first. ProbablyMonsters mission is to unite, guide, and empower talented teams to create exceptional interactive experiences. The company has built a central team that provides early stage infrastructure and long-term support to its studios on Operations, HR, Finance, BizDev, Tech, and QA, among other services. This unique model provides Cauldron Studios and all ProbablyMonsters studios the confidence, security, and stability to create and ship their games free of distractions. Learn more about us at probablymonsters.com