Incubation Technical Artist
About ProbablyMonsters Inc.
ProbablyMonsters™ is a builder of sustainable game studios that creates and launches original AAA games through a people-first culture. Our mission is to unite, guide, and empower talented teams to create exceptional interactive experiences. In an industry where new AAA studios and developer-focused cultures are equally rare, ProbablyMonsters stands out by fostering both with excellence. We empower our family of studios to concentrate on game creation while our platform team focuses on providing early stage infrastructure and long-term support. This unique development model provides each of our teams the confidence, security, and stability to create and ship their games free of distractions. Our family of studios includes: narrative-driven Cauldron Studios™, multiplayer-focused Firewalk Studios™, and our third studio, not named yet, already working on a next-gen co-op RPG game. Learn more about our people, culture, and commitment to exceptional creativity at probablymonsters.com
We are looking for an Incubation Technical Artist to join our team. You will join a team at its inception to help create a new game and franchise. Our team will be focusing strongly on action gameplay, world building, level design, and character design during the initial incubation phase. We are looking for someone who is an expert in at least one core Unreal 4 content pipeline and is capable of most others. An exceptional candidate is able to balance polishing details while understanding the overall experience. They embrace the early ambiguity that comes with new franchise development. They are excited to learn and grow and enthusiastic about helping to shape a culture of collaboration and trust while creating best in class action game experiences.
WHO YOU ARE:
- Unwavering in your desire to create a positive and inclusive work culture.
- Self-sufficient and motivated, while also unafraid to ask for help when needed.
- Knowledgeable of game design and data design principles.
- Able to take complex ideas and describe them clearly and concisely.
- Able to quickly translate concepts into functional prototypes.
- Skilled at giving and receiving feedback on all aspects of game development and interpersonal interactions.
- Initially working closely with a very small team of designers and engineers to prove out core game concepts.
- Prototype and modify animations to prove out combat.
- Prototype world geometry and props to prove our scale, sightlines, and cover.
- Prototype visual FX to draw attention to actions and help find the line when visual clarity becomes impossible because of the volume of FX.
- As we grow, work within a larger team to enable others to do their best work through technical solutions.
- Implement new pipelines and techniques in Unreal (or related software) to increase iteration speed and/or push the technical bar.
- Communicate the technical requirements and vision for artistic workflows and pipelines.
- Support the team with desk-side communication to help push the boundaries of our Art Tech.
- 6+ years of professional experience as a Technical Artist and have shipped at least 2 games.
- Expert understanding in at least one core Unreal pipeline and a strong understanding of most others.
- Expert in a 3D software content creation software package.
- Experience building rigs and animations, at a prototype level, in Maya or Blender.
- Experience programming in Blueprint, UnrealScript, or related scripting engine.
- Experience translating artistic requirements to sustainable workflow design.