About Cauldron StudiosCauldron Studios™, a ProbablyMonsters studio, is developing a narrative-driven AAA game. We are looking for a world-class Design Director to work with our Game Director and leadership team to drive a unique and compelling experience for a brand new franchise with an unparalleled integration of gameplay design and storytelling.
Who You Are:
- You are a world-class designer with a passion for systemic thinking and a deep love for interactive storytelling.
- You are deeply passionate about the holistic aspects of design and the player experience and are eager to share this knowledge.
- You can successfully evangelize the discipline of Design to a world-class development team and advocate for prioritizing the player's gameplay experience.
- You have a great understanding of modern game development and can explain it with energy and ease.
- You are seasoned in each of the design sub-disciplines to understand how they interact with each other and how to successfully manage a relationship where gameplay is critical to the project.
- You are able to work collaboratively within a strong creative team environment.
- You find time to play video games and empathize deeply with our players because you are a gamer at heart.
What You Will Do:
- Meet with the studio leads to discuss the current state of the game experience, milestone goals, and current trajectory to meet those goals.
- Conference with the design team to discuss feedback from the most recent playtest, establish a plan of action and create alignment.
- Work with other disciplines to spec, prototype and build foundational gameplay systems.
- Work directly with the Game Director to implement and drive the game vision.
- Spend some time playing the most recent build, making notes, and communicating feedback to the team.
- Throughout the day, maintain a connection with the Design team helping them exceed their expectation and act is a driving force for the player’s experience.
- 8 years of experience leading discipline teams, defining design direction, and taking games from concept to completion.
- 4+ years of Management experience and demonstrated experience leading design teams.
- Experience with the Unreal 4 Engine is a must.
- Solid understanding of popular action and story games and the design mechanics that work well within them.
- Deep understanding of production cycles and making tradeoffs to maintain schedules and deadlines.
- Driven to move fast, be decisive and deliver world-class experiences.
- Exceptional communication skills in a fast-paced environment (verbal, written and visual) who has the ability to influence and build consensus.
About ProbablyMonsters Inc.
Established in 2016 and announced in October 2019, ProbablyMonsters™ is a new breed of game company that builds sustainable AAA studios to launch original AAA games. The company was founded by Harold Ryan to not only create great games, but also to make a great working experience for developers, one where people, culture, and creativity come first. ProbablyMonsters mission is to unite, guide, and empower talented teams to create exceptional interactive experiences. The company has built a central team that provides early stage infrastructure and long-term support to its studios on Operations, HR, Finance, BizDev, Tech, and QA, among other services. This unique model provides Cauldron Studios and all ProbablyMonsters studios the confidence, security, and stability to create and ship their games free of distractions. Learn more about us at probablymonsters.com